I'm sick and it's not fun because I'm the biggest baby when I feel like crap. My ears are plugged. It's the strangest thing.
I made this soup last night. As I chopped the onion, I cried out of only one eye. I guess there is an advantage of being sick and cooking for yourself...
Chipotle Black Bean Soup
Adapted from Quick-Fix Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups black beans (or 3 16-oz cans drained)
- 1 (15-oz ) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1-2 canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: Avocado, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, and/or cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot then add carrots, onion, and garlic. Sweat the veggies for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add cumin and toast for 30 seconds.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, water, chipotle. Allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes for the flavors to develop.
- Puree with a stick blender, food processor, or regular blender until you reach your favorite level of smoothness of soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish and enjoy! Your nose might run just like mine.